Alexis Sánchez has declined a move to Universidad de Chile, stating that the current time is not right for a return to Chile [1, 2].

The decision ends weeks of speculation regarding whether the veteran forward would return to his home country to bolster one of its most prominent clubs. For Universidad de Chile, the failure to secure Sánchez represents a missed opportunity to bring a global icon back to the domestic league.

Sánchez, who is 37 years old [1], currently plays for Montreal CF in the MLS [2]. His availability became a point of discussion after his contract with Sevilla ended on June 30, 2026 [3]. While some reports suggested active negotiations were underway, Sánchez denied those claims [2].

"If I return to Chile, it would not be now," Sánchez said [2].

Internal instability at the club appears to have played a significant role in the decision. Sources close to the institution noted that the player was deterred by "constant scandals" within the club [1]. While some reporting focused on the timing of the move, other accounts suggest the institutional environment was the primary barrier [1, 2].

Cecilia Pérez, president of Universidad de Chile, expressed her desire for the signing earlier this month. "What a dream it would be if Alexis arrived at the U," Pérez said [2].

Sánchez remains one of Chile's most decorated athletes, having won two Copa América titles with the national team [2]. Despite the interest from Santiago, he continues his tenure in Canada following his departure from Spain [3].

"If I return to Chile, it would not be now,"

The rejection highlights the difficulty Chilean clubs face in attracting elite talent when institutional instability outweighs the prestige of the league. For Sánchez, maintaining a professional environment in the MLS is currently more valuable than the emotional draw of a homecoming, especially as he enters the final stages of his career.