Arthur Fils withdrew from the 2026 French Open on Saturday, May 23 [2], due to an injury.

As the top-ranked male player in France, Fils was a primary hope for the home crowd at Roland Garros. His absence removes a significant local contender from the tournament draw just as the event begins in Paris.

Fils, who is 21 years old [1], announced his withdrawal on May 23 [2]. Reports regarding the specific nature of the injury vary across news outlets. Le Monde reported that the player suffered from significant hip pain, while The Star noted that Fils withdrew a day after experiencing back pains. The New York Times did not specify the location of the injury.

Addressing the physical struggle that led to the decision, Fils spoke about the severity of the condition. "My hip was bothering me a lot," Fils said [1].

The decision to pull out comes after attempts to manage the discomfort. Fils indicated that the pain persisted despite efforts to play through it. "I still felt a lot of pain," Fils said [1].

Roland Garros is the premier clay-court event of the year and the only Grand Slam played in France. For the French Tennis Federation, the loss of their highest-ranked player is a blow to the tournament's domestic visibility, a factor that often drives ticket sales and local engagement.

Fils had been building momentum as a rising star in the international circuit. This injury forces him into a period of recovery that may impact his ranking and his preparation for the remainder of the 2026 season.

"My hip was bothering me a lot."

The withdrawal of France's top-ranked player creates a vacuum in domestic expectations for the 2026 French Open. Because Fils is a young talent at a critical stage of his career, the nature of this injury—whether hip or back—could determine his trajectory for the rest of the year's Grand Slam circuit.