The Australian federal government plans to reclaim the Port of Darwin, prompting the Chinese-owned operator Landbridge to file an international lawsuit [1, 2].
The dispute centers on one of Australia's most strategic maritime assets. The outcome could set a precedent for how the Australian government manages foreign ownership of critical infrastructure and how international investment treaties are enforced.
Landbridge lodged the legal filing with the World Bank earlier in May 2026 [1, 2]. A spokesperson for Landbridge said the government's move to reclaim the port is illegal and discriminatory [2].
The Australian government maintains that the reclamation is necessary for the national interest [1, 2]. This position was reaffirmed in a statement made on May 21, 2026 [1].
Addressing the legal challenge, the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia said, "We will do everything in our power to defend this international lawsuit brought by the owners of Darwin Port" [1].
The Port of Darwin, located in the Northern Territory, serves as a vital gateway for trade and security in the region [1, 2]. The conflict arises as the government seeks to regain control of the facility, a move that Landbridge argues violates the terms of its ownership and international law [1, 2].
Legal experts and government officials are now preparing for a protracted battle within the World Bank's arbitration framework. The proceedings will likely examine whether the reclamation constitutes an unlawful expropriation of assets [1, 2].
“The government's move to reclaim the port is illegal and discriminatory.”
This legal battle highlights the tension between national security imperatives and international commercial law. By taking the case to the World Bank, Landbridge is attempting to bypass domestic courts to seek international arbitration, which could potentially result in significant financial penalties for the Australian government if the reclamation is deemed a breach of investment treaties.





