Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti has named Neymar to the 26-man [3] squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, while omitting Chelsea striker João Pedro [1].

The selection marks a pivotal shift in Brazil's strategy as they prepare for the tournament hosted by the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. By recalling Neymar, Ancelotti is prioritizing veteran leadership and proven goal-scoring ability over emerging talent, despite ongoing questions regarding the forward's physical fitness.

Neymar, who is 34 years old [1], enters the tournament with an all-time tally of 79 goals for Brazil [4]. His inclusion comes after a period of injury doubts that left his international future uncertain. However, the coach believes the veteran's presence is essential for the team's chemistry and tactical execution on the world stage.

"Neymar brings a wealth of experience to the squad and his leadership will be vital at the World Cup," Ancelotti said [1].

Neymar expressed his commitment to the national team following the announcement on May 19, 2026 [1]. "I'm ready to give everything for Brazil," Neymar said [2].

The decision left João Pedro out of the final roster. The Chelsea striker had been vying for a spot in the attacking rotation but was bypassed by Ancelotti in favor of other options. This omission reflects the difficult balancing act of fitting a diverse attacking corps into a limited 26-player roster [3].

"I'm disappointed not to be selected, but I will keep working hard for my club and country," João Pedro said [5].

The squad announcement follows a series of evaluations by Ancelotti to determine who can best handle the pressure of the knockout stages. The decision to include Neymar suggests a belief that his playmaking ability outweighs the risk of further injury, a gamble that could define Brazil's trajectory in the competition.

"Neymar brings a wealth of experience to the squad and his leadership will be vital at the World Cup,"

The decision to prioritize Neymar over João Pedro signals that Brazil is leaning on historical pedigree and leadership to navigate the 2026 World Cup. While Neymar provides a psychological boost and tactical versatility, his injury history introduces a risk factor. Conversely, the omission of João Pedro suggests a preference for established chemistry over the raw potential of younger strikers, placing the burden of success on the veteran core.