A federal judge dismissed all criminal charges against the Broadview Six protestors on Thursday, May 21, 2026 [3].

The dismissal follows a rare admission of government misconduct, signaling a significant failure in the federal prosecution's handling of evidence and grand-jury proceedings.

Judge April Perry presided over the case in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The case originally involved six defendants [1], though four remained by the time the charges were dismissed after two had previously pleaded [2].

The court's decision came after federal prosecutors acknowledged serious errors in how they handled the grand-jury process. A defense attorney representing the group said the grand-jury transcript revealed "gross misconduct" by the government.

Judge Perry expressed severe criticism of the Department of Justice's actions during the hearing. "The behavior of federal prosecutors in this case has been 'incredibly shocking,'" Perry said. She said that "trust has been broken."

The charges were vacated just days before the trial was expected to begin. The dismissal removes the legal threat from the remaining four defendants [2] who had been facing federal prosecution in the Chicago-based court.

"The behavior of federal prosecutors in this case has been 'incredibly shocking.'"

The dismissal of the Broadview Six case highlights the critical role of grand-jury transparency. When prosecutors fail to adhere to procedural standards or manipulate evidence, it can lead to the total collapse of a federal prosecution, regardless of the original charges. This outcome underscores the judicial system's mechanism for penalizing government misconduct to protect defendants' rights.