The Labour Party's National Executive Committee gave Andy Burnham permission to enter the candidate selection process for the upcoming Makerfield by-election on May 15, 2026 [1].

The decision creates a viable path for the Greater Manchester mayor to return to Parliament. This move is significant because it positions Burnham as a potential challenger to Prime Minister Keir Starmer's leadership during a period of internal party tension.

Burnham has previously held a seat in Westminster, and his return to the House of Commons would provide him with a national platform and the legislative standing required to contest the party leadership. Some observers view the move as a strategic step toward a direct challenge to Starmer [2].

However, party officials have presented a different narrative, suggesting the move is intended to heal internal divisions. Lucy Powell, the Labour Deputy Leader, said, "We could have further to fall as a party and we absolutely need to come back together as one" [3].

Burnham has maintained a supportive public stance toward the current administration's recent record. "Millions are struggling and they need the Labour Government to succeed," Burnham said. He added that the government has already made changes to make life better for citizens in its first two years [4].

The Makerfield constituency, located in Greater Manchester, remains a key battleground for the party. By allowing Burnham to compete for the nomination, the National Executive Committee is introducing a high-profile figure into a local race that carries national implications for party unity [5].

The decision creates a viable path for the Greater Manchester mayor to return to Parliament.

The NEC's decision highlights a tension between the need for party unity and the ambitions of high-profile figures like Burnham. While the party frames this as a reunification effort, placing a potential leadership rival back in Parliament increases the likelihood of a formal challenge to Keir Starmer if the government faces further setbacks.