Canada's Minister of Trade Dominic LeBlanc said Monday that trade negotiations with the U.S. are ongoing and the work is not yet finished [1].
The status of these talks is critical because the two nations must resolve outstanding issues before the CUSMA deadline to avoid significant economic disruption.
Speaking in Washington, D.C., LeBlanc addressed the current state of the discussions [1, 2]. He said that while progress is being sought, a final agreement has not been reached. "Our job is not yet done," LeBlanc said [1].
The minister said that the Canadian government remains committed to the process despite the challenges. He said, "We're going to continue working towards a deal" [2].
These remarks follow reports from earlier this week that the two countries are still far from reaching a draft trade deal [3]. The gap between the two parties suggests that significant concessions or compromises may be required to bridge the divide before the deadline [3, 4].
LeBlanc's visit to the U.S. capital underscores the urgency of the timeline. The negotiations involve complex trade interests that affect various sectors of both economies [4].
Despite the distance between the two positions, LeBlanc said he is focused on the goal of a finalized agreement [1, 2]. He did not specify which particular issues remain the primary points of contention during the current round of talks [3].
“"Our job is not yet done."”
The admission that Canada and the U.S. remain far apart on a draft deal increases the pressure on both administrations as the CUSMA deadline approaches. Because the U.S. is Canada's largest trading partner, a failure to reach an agreement could lead to tariffs or trade barriers that destabilize North American supply chains.



