A methane-gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province killed numerous miners and trapped others underground late Friday [1], [2].
The disaster highlights ongoing safety vulnerabilities in China's mining sector, especially after a safety inspection report issued earlier this month flagged gas buildup risks [4], [5].
The blast occurred on May 22, 2026, in Qinyuan county [3], [6]. Reports on the death toll vary significantly among major news outlets. Reuters, The New York Times, and NBC reported at least 90 deaths [1], while the Associated Press and WTOP reported at least eight fatalities [2].
Rescue operations continue as teams work to reach those remaining below the surface. The Associated Press said 38 people remain trapped underground [2]. Meanwhile, NBC News said 201 people have been brought safely to the surface [3].
Investigators said the disaster was caused by the ignition of accumulated methane gas [4], [5]. The event has drawn a response from the highest levels of the Chinese government.
"We must hold those responsible to account," Xi Jinping said [7].
The Liushenyu mine is located in the industrial heart of northern China, where coal production remains a primary economic driver despite the inherent risks of gas pockets in deep-shaft mining [1], [3].
“"We must hold those responsible to account."”
The wide discrepancy in reported casualties—ranging from eight to 90 deaths—suggests significant confusion or a lack of transparent communication from local authorities in the immediate aftermath of the blast. Because the risk of methane ignition was documented in a safety report prior to the explosion, the incident may trigger a broader crackdown on mining safety protocols and lead to criminal charges for mine management.





