A spokesperson for the Chief Justice of India warned the government Tuesday that it has failed to honor commitments regarding protesters [1].

This confrontation signals a deepening rift between the judiciary and the central government over the treatment of citizens exercising their right to protest. If the government does not act, the court may implement nationwide measures to enforce its orders.

Saurav Das, the spokesperson for the Chief Justice of India (CJI), said the government has not fulfilled commitments made on July 25 [1]. Those commitments involved the handling of first information reports (FIRs), the provision of compensation, and the ensuring of protection for protesters [1].

The warning followed a Supreme Court hearing held on Aug. 18 in New Delhi [1]. The court had previously ordered these actions to address grievances related to protest-related legal filings and safety concerns.

Das said the CJI will decide on the next course of nationwide action within two days if concrete steps are not taken [1]. This deadline places immediate pressure on the government to resolve the outstanding FIRs and finalize compensation packages.

The dispute centers on whether the government has implemented the court-ordered safeguards for individuals targeted by police actions during protests. The judiciary is now weighing how to compel the executive branch to comply with these specific mandates [1].

The CJI will decide on the next course of nationwide action within two days if concrete steps are not taken.

The tension between the Supreme Court of India and the central government reflects a critical struggle over the rule of law and executive accountability. By setting a strict two-day window for compliance, the CJI is signaling that judicial patience regarding the protection of civil liberties has reached a limit, potentially leading to a direct legal clash over government inaction.