World Health Organization officials said the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo continues to spread as infection numbers climb.

The situation is critical because a newly identified Bundibugyo strain appears significantly more lethal than previous versions of the virus. This increase in virulence threatens to overwhelm local health systems and accelerate the death toll.

WHO officials said nearly 5,000 infections [1] and more than 2,300 deaths [1] occurred on Wednesday. These figures represent a sharp increase from reports earlier this summer, when deaths were cited as being near 600 [2].

An unnamed WHO official said, "The scale of the disease is, as things stand today, worrying, and the teams are hard at work to deal with this epidemic whose extent is ..."

The heightened concern stems from the Bundibugyo strain's impact on patient survival. While previous estimates for mortality were around 20 percent, the new strain has raised the estimated mortality rate to nearly 50 percent [1].

The medical response faces internal challenges alongside the biological threat. Earlier this month, some health workers in the DRC went on strike over pay issues [2]. This labor unrest occurred as the death toll was approaching 600 [3], potentially hindering the containment of the virus.

Medical teams continue to work in the affected regions to track new cases and provide treatment. The WHO has not specified the exact geographic regions most affected by the current surge, but the overall scale of the infection remains a primary concern for international health monitors.

The scale of the disease is, as things stand today, worrying

The emergence of the Bundibugyo strain represents a significant escalation in the crisis, as the near-doubling of the mortality rate turns a manageable outbreak into a high-fatality event. When combined with labor instability among frontline health workers, the DRC faces a systemic vulnerability that could allow the virus to spread beyond current containment zones.