Cristiano Ronaldo said the current season will probably be his final year as a professional footballer [1].

The announcement signals the potential end of one of the most decorated careers in sports history. Ronaldo has remained a global focal point for football, influencing both the European game and the recent growth of the Saudi Pro League.

The statement came as Ronaldo prepared to return to Saudi Arabia for the 2026-27 Saudi Pro League season with Al Nassr [4]. The club's campaign begins the week of Aug. 16 [4].

"Probably my last year," Ronaldo said [1].

He indicated that his decision is influenced by his age and Portugal's recent exit from the World Cup [2]. He expressed a desire to retire with a clear conscience [2].

Throughout his international career, Ronaldo has appeared in five World Cup editions [1]. His highest finish in the tournament was fourth place, achieved in 2006 [1].

"I will probably retire after this season," Ronaldo said [3].

While he has not provided a definitive date for his departure, the timing coincides with his transition into the final stages of his playing days in the Middle East. The Portuguese forward has spent the last several years expanding his brand and sporting influence outside of Europe.

"This is probably my last year," Ronaldo said [1].

"Probably my last year"

Ronaldo's potential retirement marks a transition for the Saudi Pro League, which used his signing to gain global legitimacy and attract other elite talent. His departure would remove a primary marketing engine for the league and leave a void in the Portuguese national team as they look toward the next generation of leadership.