The Delhi government has reopened applications for new ration cards after clearing 7.7 lakh ineligible or fraudulent entries [1].
This move marks the first time in 13 years [4] that the city has issued new cards, potentially expanding food security to thousands of residents who were previously excluded from the system.
Chief Minister Rekha Gupta said the rollout followed a massive audit designed to eliminate bogus, duplicate, and inactive beneficiaries [1], [2]. The administration implemented tighter digital checks to ensure that only eligible residents receive government subsidies, a process that freed up the 7.7 lakh slots [1].
As part of the updated policy, the government raised the annual income eligibility limit to Rs 2.5 lakh [2]. This increase allows a broader segment of the low-income population to qualify for the program, reflecting updated economic conditions in the capital.
New applications for the cards officially reopened on May 15, 2024 [3]. The government said that the audit was necessary to improve the delivery of food security and prevent the leakage of resources to those who no longer meet the criteria [1], [2].
By removing ineligible entries, the city aims to create a more accurate database of beneficiaries. This digital cleanup is intended to ensure that the public distribution system operates efficiently and reaches the most vulnerable populations without administrative waste [1].
“The Delhi government has reopened applications for new ration cards after clearing 7.7 lakh ineligible or fraudulent entries.”
The reopening of ration card applications after more than a decade suggests a strategic shift toward data-driven governance in Delhi. By combining a rigorous audit to remove 'ghost' beneficiaries with an increased income ceiling, the government is attempting to balance fiscal responsibility with expanded social welfare. This transition to tighter digital verification is likely a precursor to broader efforts to modernize the public distribution system and reduce systemic corruption.





