The World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency of international concern following a severe Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo [3].
This escalation follows the emergence of the rare Bundibugyo strain, which is spreading rapidly through the Ituri province and neighboring Uganda. Because this specific strain is highly contagious and rare, health officials fear a large-scale crisis if containment efforts fail [1, 2].
Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the situation is severe and potentially devastating [1, 2]. The rare nature of the Bundibugyo strain complicates the response, as it differs from more common Ebola variants.
At least 80 deaths have been reported so far, primarily within the eastern Ituri province of the Congo [5]. The rapid transmission has prompted urgent warnings from international health leadership regarding the scale of the virus's movement [2].
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO Director-General, said the organization is deeply concerned about the scale and speed of this outbreak [2]. The emergency declaration was made on Sunday, May 19, 2024 [2].
The WHO has mobilized resources to assist the DRC and Uganda in tracking cases, and implementing quarantine measures. The Bundibugyo strain is known for its high virulence, making the speed of the current spread particularly alarming to epidemiologists [1, 2].
“It is severe and potentially devastating.”
The declaration of a public health emergency of international concern is the WHO's highest level of alarm. By identifying the Bundibugyo strain specifically, health officials are signaling that standard Ebola protocols may need adjustment to account for the unique contagion levels of this rare variant, which threatens to destabilize the health infrastructure of both the DRC and Uganda.





