France announced a travel ban on Saturday preventing Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering French territory [1].
The move signals a sharpening diplomatic rift between Paris and Jerusalem. By barring a high-ranking cabinet member, France is explicitly condemning the conduct of Israeli officials toward humanitarian workers attempting to reach Gaza.
The decision follows the release of video footage showing Ben-Gvir taunting activists. These individuals had been detained while attempting to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza [2]. The French government said that such behavior cannot be tolerated.
"We cannot accept the mocking of humanitarian activists," French Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné said [3].
President Emmanuel Macron further emphasized the government's position on the protection of aid workers. "France will take the necessary measures to defend the dignity of those who try to bring aid to Gaza," Macron said [4].
The ban was officially announced on May 23, 2026 [1]. It comes amid international backlash regarding the treatment of the flotilla detainees.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the Israeli position and dismissed the French reaction. "The videos are being used to politicise a humanitarian effort, and we will not be intimidated," Netanyahu said [5].
This diplomatic sanction is a rare step for France against a sitting minister of a key ally. It highlights the growing tension over the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, and the conduct of the Israeli government's most right-wing elements.
“"We cannot accept the mocking of humanitarian activists,"”
This travel ban represents a significant escalation in diplomatic friction, moving beyond verbal condemnation to a tangible restrictive measure. By targeting Ben-Gvir specifically, France is isolating the far-right wing of the Israeli government while maintaining a formal channel of communication with the state, though the move risks further alienating the current Israeli administration.





