France announced an entry ban on Israeli Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir on May 23, 2026 [1].

The move signals a significant diplomatic rift between Paris and the Israeli government over the treatment of human-rights activists. French officials said that Ben-Gvir's behavior was incompatible with international law and French values.

The ban follows the release of a video recorded aboard a Gaza-flotilla vessel intercepted by Israel. The footage shows Ben-Gvir taunting 12 activists [2] who had been detained during the incident. French officials described the harassment as "unspeakable."

"We cannot accept a minister who insults detainees and undermines the dignity of human-rights defenders," French Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné said.

President Emmanuel Macron reinforced the decision, saying that France will not host officials who engage in harassment of activists, regardless of the political context.

Ben-Gvir defended his actions in response to the ban. He said the video shows him confronting the activists, but that he was only asking why they were attempting to break the blockade.

While some reports indicate the ban is temporary pending further review, other accounts describe it as a permanent measure. The French government has not provided further specifics on the duration of the restriction.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions regarding the blockade of Gaza and the role of international flotillas attempting to deliver aid to the region.

"We cannot accept a minister who insults detainees and undermines the dignity of human-rights defenders."

This diplomatic sanction reflects France's effort to balance its strategic relationship with Israel against its commitment to human rights and international law. By banning a sitting cabinet minister, Paris is establishing a public boundary regarding the acceptable conduct of foreign officials, potentially signaling a harder line on the treatment of non-combatants and activists in the Gaza conflict.