The Government of Ghana postponed a planned airlift to evacuate its citizens from South Africa on Thursday following renewed xenophobic attacks [1].

The delay affects a significant number of nationals who sought government assistance to flee escalating violence. This situation highlights the precarious security environment for foreign nationals in South Africa and the logistical challenges of coordinating emergency repatriations during active crises.

More than 800 Ghanaian citizens had registered for the evacuation [1]. The Ghana High Commission in Pretoria and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinated the effort to bring citizens home safely, but the government decided to delay the flight due to security concerns [1].

Despite the postponement of the current airlift, the government is providing support for those who have already left the country. On Wednesday, officials said a relief package was available for Ghanaian citizens who had already been evacuated from South Africa [2].

The Ghanaian government said the security environment in South Africa disrupted travel arrangements for its nationals [1]. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is continuing to monitor the situation in Pretoria and other affected regions to determine when it is safe to resume the airlift [1].

Officials have not yet provided a new date for the flight. The government said the relief package for previous evacuees is intended to assist with their reintegration, and immediate needs [2].

More than 800 Ghanaian citizens had registered for the evacuation

The postponement of the airlift suggests that the security situation on the ground in South Africa remains too volatile for safe government-led transport operations. By providing relief packages to those already home while pausing further flights, Ghana is attempting to manage a humanitarian crisis without risking the safety of the aircraft or the passengers during the transit process.