Authorities closed the Alhambra palace in Granada on Tuesday after a second major earthquake caused minor damage and debris [1, 2].

The closure of the iconic fortress affects one of Spain's most visited cultural landmarks and highlights the vulnerability of ancient structures to seismic activity.

Three people were injured during the event [1]. Local officials said the quake caused debris to fall and resulted in minor structural damage, prompting the immediate decision to shut the site to the public for safety reasons [1, 2].

Antonio Sanz, the top emergencies official for the Andalusia region, addressed the condition of the palace. He said there is "no significant structural damage or risk of collapse" [1].

The Alhambra remains a primary driver of tourism for the region. Last year, the site hosted 2.7 million visitors [1].

Emergency teams and local authorities are currently assessing the grounds to ensure the safety of the structures before reopening. This event follows a previous major earthquake that hit the area earlier this week [1, 2].

Three people were injured during the event.

The temporary closure of the Alhambra underscores the ongoing seismic risk in the Andalusia region. While officials report no risk of collapse, the recurrence of major quakes within a few days suggests a period of instability that may require updated preservation strategies for Spain's historic monuments.