Iran announced Monday that a 60-day [1] negotiation period agreed with the United States is no longer relevant.

The collapse of this timeframe removes a primary diplomatic mechanism intended to resolve tensions between Tehran and Washington. If the memorandum of understanding is void, the path to formal talks becomes significantly more uncertain.

Esmail Baghaei, a spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, said the U.S. has committed "gross and widespread violations of the memorandum of understanding." Baghaei said that the previously agreed 60-day [1] period for negotiations is no longer relevant.

The memorandum was signed several weeks ago to establish a window for diplomatic engagement. However, Iranian officials now say the agreement failed before it could be implemented. Tohid Asadi said negotiations never began because Washington violated the MOU.

Tehran has not specified the exact nature of the violations that led to this decision. The announcement suggests a breakdown in trust before the two nations could reach the negotiating table.

The U.S. government has not issued a formal response to the specific allegations of memorandum violations. The loss of the 60-day [1] window marks a shift in the diplomatic timeline that both parties had previously accepted.

"The United States has committed gross and widespread violations of the memorandum of understanding."

The voiding of the 60-day window indicates a failure of the preliminary framework intended to stabilize U.S.-Iran relations. By declaring the memorandum irrelevant, Iran is signaling that it no longer views the current U.S. diplomatic approach as viable, potentially increasing the risk of escalation as the structured timeline for talks disappears.