Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi instructed the ruling party on Monday to consider a supplemental budget to restart energy and gasoline subsidies [1].

The move aims to protect Japanese households from rising cost-of-living pressures as instability in the Middle East drives up global energy prices [2].

During a government-ruling party liaison council meeting in Tokyo, Takaichi said she directed Finance Minister Satsuki Katayama last week to secure funding for the measures [1]. The proposed subsidies for electricity, gas, and gasoline are planned to run from July through September [2].

Government officials are considering a supplemental budget of approximately 3 trillion yen to fund the temporary relief [3]. While some reports indicate the government has already finalized the decision to restart the subsidies, others state the measures remain under consideration [4, 5].

This intervention follows a pattern of temporary government support to stabilize domestic prices during external shocks. The administration is prioritizing the summer months to mitigate the impact of seasonal energy demand and volatile market rates [2].

Takaichi said she expects the ruling party leadership to coordinate on the formulation of the budget proposal to ensure the funds are available before the July start date [1].

The government instructed the ruling party to consider a supplemental budget to fund the restart of electricity and gas subsidies.

The decision to deploy a 3 trillion yen package reflects the Japanese government's vulnerability to external energy shocks due to its reliance on imported fuels. By implementing short-term subsidies, the administration is attempting to prevent a contraction in consumer spending that typically follows energy price spikes, though this approach relies on frequent fiscal adjustments rather than long-term structural energy independence.