Japanese authorities have issued a national warrant for the arrest of Kenji Oyama after two women were killed in Tatsuno City, Hyogo Prefecture [1].

The case has escalated to a nationwide manhunt following the discovery of the victims' bodies and evidence of a violent struggle. The scale of the crime and the suspect's current unknown location have prompted a broad police alert across the country.

The victims have been identified as 74-year-old Sumie Tanaka and her 52-year-old daughter, Chihiro Tanaka [1]. Investigators believe the killings occurred around May 13 [4]. The bodies were not discovered until May 19 [5].

Police obtained the arrest warrant and officially placed Oyama on the wanted list on May 24 [6]. The investigation focused on the use of a weapon, as officials said the victims suffered stab wounds [1]. While the suspect is identified as 42 years old, his current address and occupation remain unknown [1].

Law enforcement officials released physical descriptions to aid in the search. Oyama is described as being approximately 160 centimeters tall [7]. Security camera footage from the area shows the suspect wearing black-rimmed glasses [8].

Authorities have not yet disclosed a motive for the killings. Police said they are continuing to review surveillance footage and interview potential witnesses to track the movements of the suspect since the crimes occurred earlier this month.

Japanese authorities have issued a national warrant for the arrest of Kenji Oyama

The transition from a local homicide investigation to a national manhunt indicates that Japanese police believe the suspect may have fled the Hyogo Prefecture area. The gap between the estimated date of death and the discovery of the bodies suggests the suspect had several days to evade capture before the warrant was issued.