The Shahrah-e-Bhutto expressway in Karachi is scheduled to open to the public on May 23, 2024 [1].
The opening of the expressway is part of a broader effort to accelerate major transport infrastructure projects in the metropolis. By improving traffic flow, the government aims to reduce congestion in one of Pakistan's most densely populated urban areas [1, 2].
Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon said the project will officially open to the public on May 23 [1]. He said the expressway is expected to be fully open to the public by the end of May 2024 [3].
The infrastructure project spans 39 kilometers [3]. According to official reports, the completion percentage of the project has reached 88% [3]. This progress follows a series of strict deadlines imposed by the provincial leadership to ensure the project met its target dates.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah said the government has set strict deadlines to fast-track the Shahrah-e-Bhutto project and the BRT Red Line [2]. The chief minister had previously set a deadline for the completion of the expressway to coincide with Eid 2024 [5].
Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is scheduled to inaugurate the project. The initiative is viewed as a critical step in the Sindh government's plan to modernize the city's transit network, a goal that involves multiple high-priority corridors being developed simultaneously [1, 2].
“The Shahrah‑e‑Bhutto project will officially open to the public on May 23.”
The phased opening of the Shahrah-e-Bhutto expressway reflects the Sindh government's urgency to address Karachi's chronic traffic congestion. By prioritizing the completion of this 39-kilometer artery alongside the BRT Red Line, officials are attempting to create a more integrated transit system that can handle the city's massive daily commuter volume.




