Kenya's interior minister said Tuesday that the nationwide transportation and fuel strike is suspended for one week [1], [2].

The pause aims to reduce violent unrest and provide a window for the government to negotiate with strikers over rising fuel costs [1], [3].

The suspension follows two days of protests [2] that caused significant transport paralysis across the country. The unrest turned lethal, resulting in four deaths [2].

Officials said the one-week period is intended to facilitate a dialogue to resolve the grievances of the transportation sector [1]. The strike was triggered by high fuel prices, which have increased the cost of transport, and logistics nationwide [4].

While the suspension offers a temporary reprieve, the underlying economic pressure on drivers and commuters remains. The government is now under pressure to produce a concrete plan to mitigate fuel costs before the suspension expires [3].

Security forces had been deployed to manage the protests as the strike disrupted the movement of goods and people. The interior minister said the goal is to return to stability through negotiation rather than confrontation [1].

The nationwide transportation strike is suspended for one week.

This suspension represents a tactical pause by the Kenyan government to prevent further loss of life and economic stagnation. However, because the strike is rooted in the systemic issue of fuel inflation, the stability of the truce depends entirely on whether the government offers tangible subsidies or price caps during the seven-day window.