The Asociación Nacional de Transportistas (ANTAC) has organized a mega-march in Mexico City today to demand increased highway security and justice [1].
The mobilization represents a critical push for safety reforms in a country where transport operators frequently face violence. By aligning with other marginalized groups, the union aims to elevate the visibility of systemic failures in the judicial and security apparatuses.
The protest began at 9 a.m. [2] on Wednesday, May 20, 2026 [1]. Organized by ANTAC, the event serves as a platform to demand justice for operators who have been murdered or disappeared [3]. The union is also calling for comprehensive support for the families of these victims [3].
This demonstration is not limited to the transport sector. ANTAC has coordinated with mothers of the disappeared, farmers, and pensioners to broaden the scope of the demands to include general human rights, and security concerns [4].
Government officials have expressed concern over potential disruptions. The Secretaría de Gobernación (Segob) said the transport and agricultural sectors should avoid blockades or actions that affect traffic and third parties during the mobilization [5].
Organizers said that the march is necessary to address ongoing problems regarding safety and justice on the roads [3]. The ANTAC union previously issued a national call for the event to ensure a wide turnout across the capital [6].
“The ANTAC union demands highway security and justice for disappeared drivers”
The convergence of transport workers with 'madres buscadoras' and farmers indicates a strategic effort to link labor grievances with Mexico's broader human rights crisis. By framing highway insecurity as a human rights violation rather than a simple logistical issue, ANTAC is attempting to pressure the federal government for systemic judicial reform rather than temporary security increases.





