King Mohammed VI of Morocco granted a royal pardon to 18 Senegalese football fans jailed for hooliganism during the Africa Cup of Nations final [1].
The move aims to resolve a diplomatic and social friction point between the two nations following the chaotic events of the tournament. By releasing the supporters, the Moroccan monarchy seeks to signal a gesture of goodwill and stability within the region.
The pardon was officially announced Saturday, May 23, 2026 [1]. The individuals had been imprisoned following charges of hooliganism related to the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final held in Rabat [3]. The royal decree allowed the supporters to be released and return to their home country Sunday, May 24, 2026 [2].
"The King has decided to grant a pardon for humanitarian reasons," a Royal Palace spokesperson said [1].
The legal proceedings against the group had become a point of contention since the 2025 tournament. The final in Rabat was marked by significant unrest, leading to the arrest of the fans who remained in Moroccan custody until this week [3].
Officials said the decision was made specifically to ease tensions that had persisted since the tournament's conclusion. The release of the 18 fans [1] is viewed as a humanitarian step to close a chapter of sporting violence and legal dispute.
"A group of Senegalese football supporters ... returned home on Sunday after being pardoned by the king," an RFI correspondent said [2].
“"The King has decided to grant a pardon for humanitarian reasons."”
The royal pardon serves as a diplomatic tool to prevent a sporting incident from evolving into a long-term bilateral strain between Morocco and Senegal. By framing the release as a humanitarian gesture rather than a legal reversal, the Moroccan monarchy maintains the validity of its judicial system while prioritizing regional stability and international relations.





