The Madhya Pradesh High Court ordered a second post-mortem of Twisha Sharma’s remains on Friday, May 22, 2026 [1].
The ruling follows the discovery of significant inconsistencies and forensic gaps in the initial autopsy report. This judicial intervention suggests that the first medical examination failed to adequately explain the injuries found on the body, raising questions about the accuracy of the initial findings.
Justice Avanindra issued the directive to ensure a more thorough investigation into the cause of death. The court said that a medical team from AIIMS Delhi should perform the procedure [2]. While some reports mentioned AIIMS Bhopal, other records indicate the Delhi-based team will fly to Bhopal to conduct the examination [2], [3].
The legal move comes amid a wider investigation into the circumstances surrounding Sharma's death. The case has drawn significant attention due to the unexplained nature of the injuries and the subsequent forensic discrepancies [3].
Parallel to the medical investigation, authorities have been searching for Sharma's husband, Samarth Singh. Police said the reward for information regarding his whereabouts has increased to Rs 30,000 [4]. Singh has previously offered to surrender as the legal proceedings progressed [5].
The court's decision to mandate a second autopsy by a premier national institution like AIIMS underscores a lack of confidence in the local forensic process. This step is intended to provide a definitive medical conclusion that can withstand legal scrutiny during the trial phase.
“The Madhya Pradesh High Court ordered a second post-mortem of Twisha Sharma’s remains”
The order for a second autopsy by AIIMS Delhi indicates that the judiciary found the initial forensic evidence insufficient for a criminal prosecution. By bypassing local examiners in favor of a national center of excellence, the court is attempting to eliminate technical doubt regarding the cause of death, which is critical for establishing whether the case involves homicide or other causes.





