A California federal jury dismissed a lawsuit filed by Elon Musk against OpenAI and its CEO, Sam Altman [1].
The ruling ends a high-profile legal battle over the governance and mission of one of the world's most influential artificial intelligence companies. The decision removes a significant legal hurdle for OpenAI as it continues to expand its commercial operations.
The verdict was delivered on May 22, 2026 [3], at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Francisco [1]. The jury concluded that the lawsuit was time-barred because it was filed beyond the two-year statute of limitations [2].
"The jury found that Mr. Musk's claim was time-barred," Judge James Smith said [1].
OpenAI's legal team argued that the timing of the filing was the central issue of the case. "We believe the case was filed well beyond the two-year limit," Lisa Jones, an attorney for OpenAI, said [3].
The jury reached its decision quickly. While reports on the exact timing vary, the deliberations lasted less than two hours [4].
Musk had sought to challenge the transition of OpenAI from a non-profit research entity to a capped-profit company. The defense maintained that the legal window to challenge these organizational shifts had already closed [2].
“"The jury found that Mr. Musk's claim was time-barred."”
This ruling reinforces the strict application of statutes of limitations in corporate governance disputes. By dismissing the case on procedural grounds rather than the merits of Musk's claims, the court avoided a potentially disruptive deep dive into OpenAI's internal shift from non-profit to for-profit status, providing the company with greater operational stability.





