Brazil has officially included Neymar Jr. in its 26-man squad [1] for the 2026 FIFA World Cup [2].

The return of the veteran forward provides a significant psychological and tactical boost to the national team as they prepare for the tournament hosted by the U.S., Canada, and Mexico [3].

Coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the selection, saying, "Neymar’s return with Brazil is now official" [4]. The decision follows a period of uncertainty regarding the 34-year-old's fitness [5]. Earlier this year, Ancelotti indicated that the path to selection remained viable for the forward despite recent health setbacks.

On April 13, 2026, Ancelotti said, "The door remains open for the veteran forward" [6]. He said that Neymar still had time to recover from recent injuries and return to form well enough to play in the summer tournament [7].

While the forward has secured his place on the roster, his role in the starting lineup remains a subject of discussion. Reports indicate that Ancelotti has warned Neymar that he may spend time on the bench during the competition [8]. This suggests a cautious approach to the player's integration into the squad to avoid further injury.

The final roster was announced in April 2026, cementing the squad that will represent Brazil in the upcoming global competition [9]. Neymar's inclusion marks a pivotal moment in his career as he seeks to contribute to another deep run for his country on the world stage.

"Neymar’s return with Brazil is now official."

Neymar's inclusion signifies a balance between utilizing experienced star power and managing the physical limitations of an aging athlete. By including him in the 26-man roster but signaling a potential bench role, Ancelotti is treating Neymar as a high-impact substitute rather than a guaranteed starter, mitigating the risk of injury while retaining his playmaking ability for critical moments.