Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine [1].
The suspension of the 31-year-old [4] former Wimbledon finalist marks a significant blow to his career and highlights the strict anti-doping enforcement within professional tennis.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency announced the provisional suspension on June 26, 2024 [2]. The positive test occurred during the Mallorca Open, an ATP event held in Mallorca, Spain [3]. Cocaine is listed as a prohibited substance under the anti-doping rules established by the agency [5].
Kyrgios said that he made a huge mistake [1]. He cited a combination of mental health challenges and physical injuries as contributing factors to his actions [5].
"I’ve felt helpless and alone," Kyrgios said [6].
Despite the personal struggles he described, the player said that those feelings do not excuse the violation. He said he takes full responsibility for the positive test [7].
Kyrgios has previously been known for his volatile relationship with the sport and its governing bodies. This provisional suspension removes him from competition while the agency completes its full investigation into the case [1].
“"I made a huge mistake."”
The provisional suspension of a high-profile athlete like Kyrgios underscores the ITIA's zero-tolerance approach to prohibited substances, regardless of a player's mental health status or injury history. Because the suspension is provisional, the final length of his absence from the ATP tour will depend on whether he can prove the substance was ingested unintentionally or if he accepts a reduced sanction through cooperation.



