Director Nicolas Winding Refn broke down in tears during a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival while discussing a previous near-death experience.

The emotional display occurred as Refn promoted his latest film, "Her Private Hell," which recently received a 12-minute [3] standing ovation at the festival. The moment highlighted the director's personal struggles and his perspective on survival during a high-profile professional milestone.

Refn recounted a medical crisis that occurred in 2023 [1] involving a leaking heart. During the incident, the Danish filmmaker said he was clinically dead for 25 minutes [1]. The event left a profound impact on his outlook on life and his creative process.

"I died for 25 minutes," Refn said [1].

While describing the aftermath of the experience and his recovery, Refn referred to himself as the "Bionic Man" [2]. He said the survival of the event was a profound turning point, stating that he had been given a gift [4].

The press conference took place on May 19, 2026, in Cannes, France. The event served as a platform for Refn to bridge the gap between his personal trauma and the themes explored in his new cinematic work. This openness regarding his health has drawn significant attention from the international press attending the festival.

"I died for 25 minutes."

Refn's public vulnerability at Cannes signals a shift in his public persona, moving from an enigmatic provocateur to a figure processing mortality. By linking his 2023 medical trauma to the promotion of "Her Private Hell," he frames the film not just as a creative exercise, but as a reflection of his survival and a second chance at life.