The U.S. Department of Defense released a second batch of previously classified UFO and unidentified aerial phenomena files on May 8, 2026 [1].

This release marks a significant shift in how the military handles sightings of unexplained objects. By making these documents public, the government is attempting to reduce long-standing speculation and provide a factual basis for the study of aerial anomalies.

The Pentagon disclosed a collection of files and videos that were previously kept secret from the public [2]. This action follows a specific directive from President Donald Trump, who ordered greater transparency regarding the nature of unidentified aerial phenomena [3].

The effort to open these records is an ongoing process. In a previous release, the Department of Defense provided more than 160 documents [4] to the public as part of the same transparency initiative.

Officials said the release is intended to fulfill the executive order for openness. The documents include data, and visual evidence of sightings that had been categorized as classified for national security reasons [2].

While the specific contents of the second batch are being reviewed by analysts, the Pentagon said the goal remains to provide a clear record of what the government knows about these phenomena. This move follows years of pressure from both legislators and the public to reveal the truth about military encounters with unidentified objects [3].

The U.S. Department of Defense released a second batch of previously classified UFO and unidentified aerial phenomena files

The continued release of UAP files suggests a systemic shift toward declassification within the U.S. intelligence community. By transitioning from a culture of secrecy to one of transparency, the Pentagon is likely attempting to standardize the reporting of aerial anomalies and mitigate the influence of unverified conspiracy theories through the release of raw data.