Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski thanked U.S. President Donald Trump for announcing that 5,000 U.S. troops [1] will be deployed to Poland.
The move ensures a continued American military presence in Eastern Europe after a previously planned deployment was cancelled. This stability is critical for Poland as it manages security concerns on its eastern border.
Sikorski said the remarks during a press briefing on Friday ahead of NATO talks in Sweden. He said the decision keeps the rotation of American forces at levels consistent with previous arrangements.
"I want to thank President Trump for his announcement that the rotation, the presence of American troops in Poland, will be maintained more or less at previous levels," Sikorski said.
The deployment of 5,000 troops [1] represents a maintenance of the status quo rather than a significant increase in force size. This decision follows a period of uncertainty regarding the scale of U.S. commitments to the region after earlier plans were called off.
The timing of the announcement coincides with broader NATO discussions in Sweden. The presence of U.S. troops serves as a primary deterrent against potential aggression in the region, a cornerstone of Polish defense strategy.
Sikorski's public gratitude highlights the importance of the bilateral security relationship between Warsaw and Washington. The foreign minister said that maintaining these levels is a positive outcome for Polish national security.
“"the presence of American troops in Poland, will be maintained more or less at previous levels"”
The decision to maintain 5,000 troops suggests a preference for stability over escalation. By preserving existing rotation levels, the U.S. avoids a vacuum in Eastern European security while avoiding the political friction that might accompany a massive troop surge. For Poland, this provides a predictable security guarantee during ongoing NATO deliberations.





