A Special Investigation Team cleared former Ram Temple Trust officials Champat Rai and Anil Mishra of criminal culpability in a donation-theft case.
The decision resolves allegations of misappropriated funds within the trust that manages the Ayodhya Ram Mandir, a site of immense religious and political significance in India.
The Uttar Pradesh Home Department received the final report from the SIT on a Monday [1, 3]. The probe focused on whether donations intended for the temple had been stolen or misused by trust leadership [1, 3]. The investigation concluded that there was no evidence of wrongdoing by the two officials [1, 3].
Champat Rai served as the general secretary of the Ram Temple Trust, while Anil Mishra served as a trustee [1, 2]. Both men resigned from their positions before the investigation concluded [1].
The probe was conducted by a three-member team [3]. This SIT was originally formed on June 13, 2023 [3], following the initial reports of financial irregularities. The team examined trust records and financial transactions to determine if funds were diverted from their intended purpose [1, 3].
Reports regarding the current status of the case vary. Some sources said the SIT has submitted its final report and concluded the matter [4]. However, other reports said that a second SIT is continuing a probe into the case [1].
The case highlights the scrutiny facing the management of the Ram Mandir Trust as it handles massive public contributions for the temple's upkeep, and administration [1, 2].
“The Special Investigation Team cleared former Ram Temple Trust officials Champat Rai and Anil Mishra of criminal culpability.”
The clearing of high-ranking officials in the Ram Temple Trust removes immediate legal clouds over the administration of one of India's most prominent religious sites. However, the conflicting reports regarding a potential second investigation suggest that regulatory or political scrutiny of the trust's financial transparency may persist despite the SIT's findings.



