The U.S. Department of Justice indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on Thursday for murder and related crimes [1].
The legal action marks a significant escalation in tensions between Washington and Havana, as the U.S. seeks accountability for a decades-old incident involving civilian deaths.
Federal prosecutors unsealed the indictment on May 21, 2026 [2]. The charges stem from the 1996 shooting down of two aircraft off the coast of Cuba [1]. According to the filing, Castro bears responsibility for ordering or facilitating the attack, which prosecutors said was an act of terrorism against civilians [3].
The incident involved two planes [1] that were intercepted and shot down over the Caribbean Sea. The U.S. government said the actions were a violation of international law, and a targeted attack on non-combatants.
This indictment is the latest in a series of legal pressures placed on the Cuban leadership. While Castro has previously served as the head of state, the current charges focus specifically on his operational role in the 1996 military response. The U.S. federal court where the indictment was filed now holds the legal authority to seek his extradition or restrict his international travel.
Cuban officials have not yet issued a formal response to the specific charges filed this week. However, the U.S. government said the evidence supports the claim that Castro directed the actions that led to the deaths of those on board the aircraft [3].
“The U.S. Department of Justice indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on Thursday for murder.”
This indictment signals a shift toward using the U.S. judicial system to pursue historical human rights and terrorism claims against former foreign heads of state. By charging Raúl Castro with murder, the U.S. is not only seeking legal retribution for the 1996 incident but is also applying maximum diplomatic pressure on the current Cuban administration, potentially complicating any future attempts at normalizing bilateral relations.





