Enrique Riquelme presented his candidacy for the presidency of Real Madrid on Saturday at the club's Valdebebas training complex [1, 2].
The bid represents a significant challenge to the existing club leadership by a young businessman. Riquelme is the president and largest shareholder of the energy group Cox [1, 5].
Riquelme, 37 [1], appeared at the club offices shortly after 6 p.m. to formalize his run. During the announcement, he urged the club's members to embrace the possibility of change. "Les pido a los socios que no tengan miedo," Riquelme said [2, 3].
To qualify for the election, candidates must provide a pre-aval, which constitutes 15% of the club's budget. Riquelme presented a guarantee of 193.7 million euros [1]. Other reports had previously cited the required amount as more than 180 million euros [5].
Riquelme said that his decision to run is not an attack on the current administration. "Esto no es una candidatura en contra de nadie," Riquelme said [2]. He positioned his candidacy as an alternative for the members rather than a conflict with specific individuals.
The electoral board is scheduled to validate the candidacy by Sunday, May 24, 2026 [1]. If approved, Riquelme will move forward as an official candidate in the upcoming club elections.
His presence at the Valdebebas offices marks the first formal step in a process that requires both significant financial backing and the support of the club's sociates, the members who hold voting rights.
“Les pido a los socios que no tengan miedo”
Riquelme's candidacy introduces a high-capital alternative to the current Real Madrid administration. By meeting the stringent financial requirement of a 193.7 million euro bank guarantee, he proves he has the liquidity to compete at the highest level of sports governance. This move tests the club's democratic structure and whether the members are willing to shift from established leadership to a younger, corporate-led vision.





