Rodri Hernández has signed a contract with FC Barcelona through 2030 after rejecting a potential move to Real Madrid [1].
The transfer of the 30-year-old midfielder [2] represents a significant shift in power within La Liga. By securing one of the world's premier midfielders, Barcelona strengthens its squad while denying a direct rival a key tactical asset.
Barcelona announced the signing Tuesday afternoon. The midfielder, who previously played for Manchester City, said that the Catalan club was his first choice during the recruitment process. He said, "Barcelona fue mi primera opción," or "Barcelona was my first option."
Rodri highlighted the trajectory of the club as a primary motivator for his decision. He said the club has been growing significantly in recent years [3]. This growth is reflected in the club's recent success, having secured five domestic titles over the last six seasons [4].
While reports on the involvement of Real Madrid vary, the midfielder confirmed his preference for Barcelona's direction. He said he chose Barcelona because of its project and ambition, which fits his career goals [1].
The move follows a period of speculation regarding Rodri's future. While some reports indicated Real Madrid had been negotiating to sign him, other sources suggest the club denied any official offer [5]. Regardless of the negotiations, Rodri said that Barcelona offered the best football project and aligned with his personal ambitions [1].
The signing ceremony in Barcelona marks the beginning of a long-term commitment. The contract ensures Rodri will remain with the club until 2030 [1].
“"Barcelona fue mi primera opción."”
This transfer signals Barcelona's successful effort to attract elite talent despite the financial scrutiny the club has faced in recent years. By winning a tug-of-war against Real Madrid for a player of Rodri's caliber, Barcelona not only improves its midfield stability but also delivers a psychological blow to its primary domestic competitor.



