Sen. Rodrigo Pacheco (PSB-MG) will not run for governor of Minas Gerais in the 2026 elections, according to the Workers' Party.
The decision forces the PT to pivot its strategy in one of Brazil's most populous states. The party must now identify a viable alternative to lead their ticket, and rebuild a competitive coalition to secure the governorship.
Edinho Silva, the national president of the PT, confirmed the development on Tuesday, May 19 [1]. The announcement marks a significant shift in the political landscape of Minas Gerais, as Pacheco was previously viewed as a central figure in the party's regional calculations.
Silva said the party is now discussing a substitute. The PT intends to resume conversations with other leaders in Minas Gerais to establish a strong platform for the upcoming race [2]. This search for a new candidate comes as the party seeks to maintain its influence and viability in the state's executive branch.
Regarding the previous strategy, Silva said he made a bet and lost, and said that the party must now be practical [4]. The absence of Pacheco from the race removes a high-profile name from the ballot, potentially altering the dynamics of the 2026 gubernatorial contest.
The party's internal discussions are now focused on finding a name that can consolidate support across various political sectors in the region [3]. This process involves evaluating the competitiveness of potential candidates, and their ability to attract a broad base of voters in the state.
“Rodrigo Pacheco will not run for governor of Minas Gerais in the 2026 elections.”
The withdrawal of Rodrigo Pacheco creates a power vacuum in the PT's strategy for Minas Gerais. Because the party relied on Pacheco's profile to anchor their coalition, they must now negotiate with other political forces to avoid electoral isolation. This shift likely increases the leverage of other regional leaders who can offer the viability the PT currently lacks for the 2026 gubernatorial race.





