Edinho Silva, the national president of the Partido dos Trabalhadores (PT), said Tuesday that Senator Rodrigo Pacheco will not run for governor of Minas Gerais [1].

This decision creates a strategic void for the PT and its allies in one of Brazil's most populous states. The absence of a high-profile candidate like Pacheco forces the party to reorganize its coalition, and seek new political partnerships to remain competitive in the 2026 gubernatorial race [2].

Silva confirmed the news during an appearance on Jovem Pan News on May 19, 2026 [1]. "Rodrigo Pacheco não disputará o Governo de Minas Gerais nas eleições de 2026," Silva said [1].

The announcement comes as parties begin to solidify their rosters for the upcoming election cycle [2]. While some reports had previously suggested a push for Pacheco to define his candidacy, the PT leadership is now operating under the premise that he is out of the race [2, 3].

The party is now searching for alternative candidates who can maintain the coalition's strength in the region. According to reports from G1 Globo, the PT is seeking new allies for the government of Minas after the decision [2].

This shift in the political landscape follows a period of speculation regarding how the center-right and left-wing parties would align in Minas Gerais. The removal of Pacheco from the equation alters the calculus for other potential candidates and their respective party coalitions [3].

"Rodrigo Pacheco não disputará o Governo de Minas Gerais nas eleições de 2026."

The withdrawal of Senator Rodrigo Pacheco from the gubernatorial race removes a heavyweight contender from the 2026 Minas Gerais elections. For the PT, this necessitates a rapid pivot in strategy to find a viable candidate who can bridge the gap between different political factions and secure the state's executive power.