U.S. Senator Marco Rubio said Sunday that significant progress has been made in talks with Iran to end the war [1].

These negotiations are critical because they could restore global energy security by reopening the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most vital shipping lanes.

Rubio spoke to reporters at a press briefing in Washington, D.C., on May 24, 2026 [2]. During the briefing, he addressed the current status of negotiations and the prospect of restoring maritime traffic. "We have made significant progress in our talks with Iran," Rubio said [3].

The potential agreement focuses on ending the conflict and stabilizing the region. An Iranian news agency reported that a deal could see shipping levels through the Strait of Hormuz return to pre-war levels within weeks [4].

While the recent announcements suggest a breakthrough, the process has not been without friction. Earlier this week, Rubio said that challenges remain, but the U.S. is moving forward [5].

The talks come amid ongoing international pressure to resolve the hostilities and ensure the flow of oil and goods through the Persian Gulf. The U.S. has sought a diplomatic resolution that balances regional security, and the necessity of open trade routes. Rubio said he did not provide specific details on the terms of the potential deal during the Sunday briefing [2].

"We have made significant progress in our talks with Iran."

The potential reopening of the Strait of Hormuz represents a significant shift in the geopolitical landscape of the Middle East. Because a vast majority of the world's seaborne oil passes through this narrow chokepoint, any agreement to restore pre-war shipping levels would likely reduce global energy price volatility and signal a formal de-escalation of hostilities between the U.S. and Iran.