The Samsung Electronics labor union postponed a planned total strike this week after resuming final-round negotiations with company management [1, 2].
This development prevents a massive production disruption at one of the world's largest semiconductor and electronics manufacturers. A total strike would have frozen operations across key facilities, potentially impacting global supply chains for memory chips and consumer devices.
The negotiations took place on May 18, 2026, one day before the strike was scheduled to begin [2, 3]. The talks were held at the Central Labor Commission in the Sejong Government Complex and were chaired by South Korea's Minister of Employment and Labor, Kim Young-hoon [1, 2].
According to Lee In-cheol, director of the Chamjoeun Economic Research Institute, the discussions had already spanned three days of "marathon" negotiations before the labor minister stepped in to lead the process [1]. The union said it would move to hold a vote on a provisional agreement, with an announcement expected at 10:30 a.m. [1, 2].
The dispute centered on the performance-bonus compensation system, and various other wage-related issues [1, 2]. The threat of a total strike had forced the government to intervene to ensure a resolution before the May 19 deadline [2, 3].
Lee said that while the union has reserved its right to strike, the specific details of the provisional agreement must be reviewed before the outcome is certain [1].
“The Samsung Electronics labor union postponed a planned total strike this week.”
The intervention of the Minister of Employment and Labor highlights the South Korean government's priority in maintaining industrial stability within the tech sector. By postponing the strike, Samsung avoids immediate operational losses, but the upcoming union vote will determine if the performance-bonus dispute is permanently resolved or if labor unrest will return to the semiconductor industry.





