The Suwon District Court partially granted an injunction request by Samsung Electronics to prohibit illegal strike actions at its Pyeongtaek semiconductor campus [1].
The ruling arrives three days before a scheduled strike on May 21, 2026 [1, 2]. Because semiconductor fabrication involves highly sensitive equipment, any unplanned shutdown can cause catastrophic damage that requires expensive and time-consuming repairs to resolve [1, 2].
The court said the plant must maintain "staffing and operating hours at the same level as usual" [1]. This measure is intended to ensure that critical machinery remains functional and that the facility avoids the risks associated with illegal labor actions [1].
Samsung Electronics sought the injunction to prevent potential disruptions to its production lines. The court said the process of restarting semiconductor equipment after a shutdown involves significant costs and technical challenges [1].
The legal battle follows a hearing held on May 13, which lasted one hour and 40 minutes [3]. While some reports previously suggested a decision would be reached in April, the court delivered the conclusion on May 18 [1, 4].
The ruling limits the ability of the labor union to engage in total walkouts that would leave equipment unattended. By mandating a minimum level of operational staffing, the court aims to balance labor rights with the protection of critical industrial infrastructure [1].
“The court ordered the plant to maintain "staffing and operating hours at the same level as usual"”
This decision underscores the high stakes of semiconductor manufacturing, where the physical requirements of the machinery often override standard labor strike tactics. By prioritizing equipment stability, the court has effectively neutralized the union's ability to execute a full operational shutdown, shifting the leverage back to the company as the May 21 deadline approaches.





