South Korea activated a level-1 disaster response Monday to manage casualties and damage caused by extreme rainfall in South Gyeongsang Province [1].
The mobilization marks a critical escalation in the government's effort to prevent further loss of life and infrastructure collapse as rain clouds move toward other major cities. The situation is considered severe due to the volume of water and the resulting landslides.
The Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters began the level-1 response at 6:00 on Aug. 17 [1]. This follows a period of intensifying weather that began on Aug. 15 [1]. The government had previously raised the disaster warning to a "caution" level on Aug. 16 [1].
Heavy rainfall has hit the areas of Geoje and Tongyeong particularly hard. In Geoje, the region recorded more than 800 mm of rain [1]. This volume of precipitation triggered widespread flooding and landslides, leading to casualties in the affected districts.
Yoon Ho-joong, head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, said the situation is grave as rain clouds move toward nearby areas including Busan and Ulsan [1].
To combat the crisis, the headquarters is mobilizing all available personnel and equipment [1]. The focus remains on rescue operations and controlling flood damage to prevent the crisis from expanding into neighboring provinces.
Government officials said the response level was raised to ensure a total effort in coordination with local authorities. The mobilization includes emergency rescue teams, and heavy machinery to clear landslide debris and reach trapped residents [1].
“South Korea activated a level-1 disaster response Monday to manage casualties and damage.”
The activation of a level-1 response indicates that the scale of the flooding has exceeded the capacity of local municipal governments to manage independently. By centralizing the command under the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, the South Korean government can redirect national military and emergency resources to high-risk zones in South Gyeongsang Province to mitigate further casualties.



