Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan withdrew his nomination and will not contest the Falta by-poll repoll [1].

The withdrawal occurs two days before the scheduled repoll in the South 24-Parganas district of West Bengal. This move creates a sudden vacancy for the TMC in a critical local contest and allows political opponents to challenge the party's stability.

Khan announced his decision Tuesday, May 19, 2024 [2]. The repoll is scheduled to take place two days after the announcement, with the final vote count set for May 24, 2024 [2].

Leaders from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) responded to the news by targeting the Trinamool Congress. BJP officials said the move signals a weakening of the "Diamond Harbour model," a strategic approach to governance and campaigning associated with the TMC. Some BJP leaders said this withdrawal indicates a broader decline in the party's influence within the region [3].

While the TMC has not provided a detailed public explanation for Khan's exit, the BJP has used the event to frame the party as being in retreat. The BJP previously secured 207 seats in the West Bengal assembly election [2].

The Falta constituency remains a focal point of political tension in the South 24-Parganas district. The sudden absence of a primary TMC candidate ahead of the repoll may shift the electoral dynamics and influence voter turnout for the May 24 count [2].

Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan withdrew his nomination and will not contest the Falta by-poll repoll

The withdrawal of a candidate immediately preceding a repoll suggests internal instability or strategic misalignment within the Trinamool Congress in South 24-Parganas. By framing this as the end of the 'Diamond Harbour model,' the BJP is attempting to erode the perceived invincibility of the TMC's regional organizational strategy ahead of the final vote count.