President Donald Trump said on Monday that he has called off planned strikes on Iran following a request from Gulf allies [1, 2].
The decision marks a significant pause in military escalation, signaling a shift toward diplomatic efforts to prevent a wider regional conflict.
The request to halt the operation came from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates [1]. Trump said that the strikes had been planned for Tuesday, but the administration decided to hold off based on the appeals from these partner nations [1].
Trump said the decision was influenced by the current state of diplomacy. According to the president, negotiations to end the war were becoming more serious, which prompted the decision to delay the military action [1].
Despite the pause, the U.S. maintains a high state of readiness. "I have called off the planned strikes on Iran at the request of our Gulf allies," Trump said [1]. He said that the military remains prepared for immediate action, stating, "We will hold off on the attack, but the military is ready at a moment’s notice" [2].
The move highlights the influence of Gulf states in shaping U.S. military strategy in the Middle East. By coordinating with the U.S., Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE have sought to prioritize a negotiated settlement over immediate kinetic strikes.
“"I have called off the planned strikes on Iran at the request of our Gulf allies."”
This development indicates that Gulf allies are leveraging their strategic partnership with the U.S. to steer the administration away from direct military confrontation with Iran. By citing 'serious' negotiations, the U.S. is attempting to balance a credible military threat—maintaining readiness—with a diplomatic window to achieve a ceasefire or peace agreement without further escalation.





