President Donald Trump (R-FL) announced a pause on steep U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods pending a preliminary trade deal [1].
The move prevents a significant trade disruption between the two North American neighbors. If implemented, the tariffs would have increased costs for importers and potentially sparked retaliatory measures from Ottawa.
Trump said during a White House press briefing on Tuesday, August 18, 2026 [1]. The announcement came just before the tariffs were scheduled to take effect early Wednesday, August 19 [2].
Trump said he paused 50% Canadian tariffs [3]. He described the pending agreement as "very fair" and framed the pause as a step toward the total elimination of tariffs.
During the briefing, Trump highlighted the potential domestic economic impact of the deal. "Our farmers are going to be thrilled; our manufacturers are going to be thrilled," Trump said [2].
There were contradictions in how the president described the current status of trade barriers. While he mentioned the pause of the 50% tariffs [3], he also said that the U.S. effectively has no tariffs going into Canada anymore [2].
Trump said that Canada had previously been charging the U.S. tremendous tariffs, but that those are no longer in place [2].
The White House indicated that the preliminary deal serves as a bridge to a final agreement. This strategy aims to secure favorable terms for U.S. industry, while avoiding an immediate trade war with a primary trading partner [1].
“"I have paused 50% Canadian tariffs."”
This pause signals a preference for negotiated settlements over immediate protectionist measures. By delaying the 50% tariffs, the administration avoids immediate price spikes for U.S. consumers and businesses while maintaining leverage to finalize a trade deal that prioritizes U.S. agricultural and manufacturing exports.



