President Donald Trump announced Thursday that the U.S. is canceling planned military strikes against Iran to pursue a diplomatic resolution [1].
The decision marks a significant shift in the current conflict, potentially averting a wider escalation in the region while the administration attempts to negotiate a lasting peace [2].
Speaking from the Oval Office on May 21, 2026, Trump discussed the current state of peace negotiations and addressed domestic concerns, including fuel prices [1, 3]. EPA Administrator Lee Zeldin was also present during the broadcast [1].
This move follows a period of high tension that began when major combat operations against Iran were announced on Feb. 28, 2026 [4]. The U.S. had previously announced a two-week ceasefire [4].
Trump said the decision to halt the strikes came shortly after he had warned Iran that the "clock is ticking" [5]. Despite the cancellation of the strikes, the president signaled that he is not rushing the diplomatic process.
"I'm in 'no hurry' to make a peace deal with Iran," Trump said [4].
Reports on the Iranian response to the announcement are mixed. Iranian leaders did not immediately confirm the statements [5], though other reports indicate that initial U.S.-Iran talks were underway, suggesting a level of engagement from Tehran [4].
In addition to the foreign policy updates, the president addressed the White House ballroom, matters involving Congress, and the impact of current events on fuel prices [1, 3].
“I'm in 'no hurry' to make a peace deal with Iran.”
The decision to halt military strikes suggests the U.S. is prioritizing a negotiated settlement over direct kinetic action to stabilize the region. However, the lack of immediate confirmation from Iran and the president's stated lack of urgency indicate that a formal peace agreement remains uncertain and subject to further diplomatic friction.




