President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he has delayed planned military strikes against Iran due to progress in peace negotiations [1].
The decision to postpone offensive action represents a tactical shift in the U.S. approach to the conflict. By pausing military operations, the administration is signaling a willingness to prioritize diplomacy over immediate escalation, provided the terms of the negotiations meet U.S. requirements.
Trump said that "serious negotiations are now taking place" [2]. Despite this progress, he emphasized that he is not rushing the process to reach a conclusion. "I'm in no hurry to make a peace deal with Iran," Trump said [3].
The planned strikes had been scheduled for May 21, 2026 [1]. The decision to delay these operations comes as the administration weighs the potential for a comprehensive agreement to end the war.
Trump also addressed the role of international allies in the region. He said that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will do "whatever I want on Iran" [3]. This statement suggests a high level of coordination between the U.S. and Israeli leadership regarding the strategic handling of the Iranian government.
While the strikes are postponed, other restrictive measures remain in place. CENTCOM said that the current blockade continues to be enforced while the diplomatic window remains open [4].
“"I'm in no hurry to make a peace deal with Iran."”
The delay of scheduled strikes indicates a transition from active kinetic operations to a high-stakes diplomatic phase. By maintaining the blockade while pausing airstrikes, the U.S. is utilizing a 'carrot and stick' approach—preserving military pressure to ensure that Iran remains incentivized to reach a favorable agreement under the administration's specific terms.





