President Donald Trump announced he is calling off a planned U.S. military strike on Iran scheduled for Tuesday, May 19, 2026 [1].

The decision prevents an immediate escalation of hostilities in a volatile region where military action could disrupt global energy markets and trigger wider conflict.

Trump said the announcement during a Bloomberg Daybreak Europe broadcast from London [2]. The strike had been slated for Tuesday, May 19, 2026 [1], but the administration has now opted to hold off on the operation.

According to the president, the decision followed appeals from leaders across the Middle East [3]. He said the move came after constructive talks aimed at establishing new negotiations between the parties involved [3].

This reversal comes amid ongoing tensions regarding the Strait of Hormuz and regional stability [4]. While the specific targets of the planned strike were not detailed in the announcement, the postponement suggests a temporary shift toward diplomatic channels over kinetic action.

Trump said the current environment allows for a pivot toward dialogue. The administration is now prioritizing these constructive talks to determine if a negotiated settlement can replace the need for military intervention [3].

Regional leaders had expressed concerns that a U.S. strike would destabilize the Gulf area. The decision to postpone the May 19 operation reflects the influence of these diplomatic pressures on the White House's strategic calculus [3, 4].

President Donald Trump announced he is calling off a planned U.S. military strike on Iran

The postponement of the May 19 strike indicates a strategic preference for diplomacy over immediate military escalation. By citing the influence of Middle East leaders, the administration acknowledges the importance of regional consensus to avoid a broader war that could jeopardize oil shipping lanes and international security.