President Donald Trump (R-FL) said Tuesday that the U.S. Navy has "100%" control of the Strait of Hormuz [2].
The statement comes as the U.S. attempts to stabilize global energy markets amid rising tensions in the Middle East. Because the strait is a primary artery for global oil shipments, any perceived instability can trigger price volatility.
Trump said on Truth Social that the waterway is open and operating. He said that all water mines have been removed or detonated [1].
However, these assertions contrast with recent events in the strategic waterway between Oman and Iran. A ship attack in the strait recently resulted in the death of one crew member [1].
Market observations indicate that commercial traffic is barely trickling through the region [3]. This low volume of shipping suggests that operational control may be more limited than the administration has said.
When asked to confirm if all mines had been cleared, U.S. Central Command referred reporters to the White House [1]. No independent confirmation of the mine clearance has been provided.
The president's remarks appear intended to reassure investors and signal strength. Yet, the combination of active hostilities and minimal ship movement indicates the waterway remains contested [2, 3].
“"The Hormuz Strait is open and operating."”
The gap between the White House narrative and the actual volume of shipping traffic suggests a high-risk environment for commercial insurers and oil tankers. While the U.S. is signaling total dominance to prevent market panic, the physical reality of a recent fatality and low traffic indicates that the Strait of Hormuz remains a volatile flashpoint.


