President Donald Trump signaled that the United States could resume military attacks on Iran if Tehran does not provide a better peace proposal [1].

The threat serves as a high-stakes leverage tactic in ongoing negotiations to end hostilities. By maintaining the option of renewed strikes, the administration aims to pressure Iran into making significant concessions to reach a satisfactory agreement [2].

In a social media post on May 17 [1], Trump said that time is running out for the Iranian government. He said that if Iran does not move quickly, nothing will remain.

This follows a pattern of escalating rhetoric. In an interview with Axios, Trump said that Iran would receive a severe blow if it fails to meet demands [1]. Similar warnings were issued earlier this year, with a report on April 30 [3] indicating the president had discussed attack options with senior military leaders via X.

Trump said that Iran would face severe strikes if it did not bring a better proposal toward an agreement [3]. This strategy links the possibility of immediate military action directly to the quality of the diplomatic offer on the table.

To further this pressure, Trump has scheduled a meeting with his national-security team for May 19 [1]. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss specific military options available to the U.S. government should negotiations fail to produce a viable peace deal.

White House officials have not provided specific details on what constitutes a "better proposal," but the timeline for Iranian compliance has been framed as urgent by the president.

"Time is running out for Iran."

The administration is employing a 'maximum pressure' strategy by coupling diplomatic negotiations with the explicit threat of kinetic military action. By scheduling a national-security meeting immediately following these public warnings, the U.S. is signaling that the threat of renewed attacks is a credible policy option rather than mere rhetoric, potentially forcing Iran to accelerate its concessions to avoid a new conflict.