President Donald Trump (R-WY) met with senior national security officials at the White House on Friday to address escalating tensions with Iran.

The meeting comes as the U.S. balances a hardline military posture with active diplomatic negotiations. The outcome of these talks will determine whether the two nations move toward a formal peace agreement or a broader military conflict.

This emergency session followed a United Nations Security Council session on Thursday. During that meeting, U.S. officials said Iran that all options remain on the table [2]. This warning suggests a readiness for military action if diplomatic efforts fail.

However, other signals point toward de-escalation. President Trump said a peace deal with Iran could be reached within seven days [3]. This prospective agreement is a central focus of the current negotiations between U.S. and Iranian officials at the UN [1, 2].

As part of this shift, President Trump ordered a pause on "Project Freedom" [3]. The order came after the operation had been active for less than 24 hours [3]. The pause indicates a willingness to freeze specific military initiatives to create space for the proposed peace deal.

National security officials are currently weighing the next steps for the U.S. government. The administration is managing a contradictory strategy, maintaining a threat of force at the UN while signaling a potential diplomatic breakthrough at the White House [2, 3].

President Trump said a peace deal with Iran could be a week away

The U.S. is employing a 'maximum pressure' strategy by simultaneously threatening military action and offering a diplomatic exit. The rapid pause of Project Freedom suggests that the administration is prioritizing a quick diplomatic win over the immediate execution of new military operations, though the short window for a peace deal indicates high urgency and volatility.